Thursday, January 13, 2011

Driving on ice

I have always taken pride in knowing that I am a very good driver. I get my confidence on the road from my dad, a smart driver who taught me all of my tricks when I was 14. When I was 15 he would let me drive on long road trips while he slept in the back seat. When I was a young 16, my parents let me drive to Athens by myself to visit Whit - but I remember that I accidentally drove into South Carolina on I-85 because I somehow missed 316 (not sure I ever told them that).

Today Gus is back to work and he took the Tahoe because he drove to Washington, Ga. Thomson and I were itching to get out, so we de-snowed my little car and took off. Once you get on the main roads everything is clear, but the back roads are another story. On the way out of the neighborhood on Milledge Circle there is a long patch of thick ice in the shade. About 20 feet long on both sides of the road. Heading out it was downhill so I could coast, but I knew that coming back in it would take some strategy. There was an old lady that was stuck and some guys were trying to push her.

Channelling my inner-Happy and knowing that Milledge Circle was the best way to get back, I plotted my course as I passed Barbara Dooley. (For some reason she was in the road stomping the ice in front of her house, full length black coat and full makeup)

At the top of the hill I stopped about 20 feet in front of the ice and waited for the car in front of me to get across because I knew if they stopped I wouldn't be able to stop from hitting them. After they passed I got up enough speed to go all the way across without having to accelerate or brake on the ice. Pretty smart I say. Cars have been getting stuck on that patch all week long. Thomson and I got across no problem.

My advice to you drivers out there: channel your inner-Happy and drive safely! Thomson and I are back at home playing with all kinds of fun toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers